- v. 分裂；将…分成若干部分；分摊；分离；劈开；裂开；<俚>离开
- n. 劈开；裂口；分裂；一份；水果冰淇淋
- adj. 分裂的；意见分歧的
- vt. & vi. 裂开; 破裂 cause to break into two or more parts, especially from end to end along the line of natural division
extending the legs at right angles to the trunk (one in front and the other in back)
a bottle containing half the usual amount
a promised or claimed share of loot or money;
"he demanded his split before they disbanded"
a lengthwise crack in wood;
"he inserted the wedge into a split in the log"
an opening made forcibly as by pulling apart;
"there was a rip in his pants"
"she had snags in her stockings"
an old Croatian city on the Adriatic Sea
a dessert of sliced fruit and ice cream covered with whipped cream and cherries and nuts
(tenpin bowling) a divided formation of pins left standing after the first bowl;
"he was winning until he got a split in the tenth frame"
an increase in the number of outstanding shares of a corporation without changing the shareholders' equity;
"they announced a two-for-one split of the common stock"
the act of rending or ripping or splitting something;
"he gave the envelope a vigorous rip"
division of a group into opposing factions;
"another schism like that and they will wind up in bankruptcy"
having been divided; having the unity destroyed;
"Congress...gave the impression of...a confusing sum of disconnected local forces"
"a league of disunited nations"
"a fragmented coalition"
"a split group"
(especially of wood) cut or ripped longitudinally with the grain;
"we bought split logs for the fireplace"
separate into parts or portions;
"divide the cake into three equal parts"
"The British carved up the Ottoman Empire after World War I"
separate or cut with a tool, such as a sharp instrument;
"cleave the bone"
discontinue an association or relation; go different ways;
"The business partners broke over a tax question"
"The couple separated after 25 years of marriage"
"My friend and I split up"
go one's own way; move apart;
"The friends separated after the party"
come open suddenly and violently, as if from internal pressure;
"The bubble burst"
- The party split into petty factions.
- The vote split the Labour Party.
- She split the class into groups of four.
- The arrow just split the apple in half.
- My working life is split into three main parts.
- My roommate and I split the bills every month.
- They split the cost of the party between them.
- They split off after a year of marriage.
- John has just split up with his girl-friend.
- I was out in the back yard splitting logs.
- Your coat has split at the seams.
- The wooden floor had split in the heat.
- When he bent over, he split his pant.
- Frost caused the split in the rock.
- The split in the sidewalk is getting larger.
- Argument over policy led to a split in the party.
- Each partner got a split of the profits.
- They believe the killer has a split personality.
- They were split on the question of women's rights.
- The wood splits easily.
- Good mushrooms easily split from end to end.
- My head feels as though it will split.
- He was laughing fit to split.
- Let's split.
- The two friends split and went home.
- The two tennis players split in the first four sets.
- The Guo An Team of Beijing and The Shenhua Team of Shanghai split at the end of the football match.
- His coat has split open at the seams.
- The furniture split open in the sunshine.
- Split the pineapple before peeling it.
- She split the cake and filled it with jelly.
- If you want to split the wood, cut it with the grain, not against it.
- When he bent over, he split his pant.
- Rutherford discovered how to split the atom by fission.
- Let's split the cost of the meal.
- They split the money between themselves.
- The big tree was split by the lightning.
- When an atom of U￣235 is split, several neutrons are set free.
- She split the cake open and filled it with jam.
- They split the box open.
- They have to split the door open to save the child.
- The young man's skull had been split open, and blood and brains were gushing out.
- split the difference
〈非正〉折中成交; 差额各让一半 (when make a bargain) compromise on the price; agree on an amount halfway between
- split hairs
为琐事争辩; 作无益而琐细的分析 make very fine and pointless difference in arguing
John is always splitting hairs, he often stars an argument about something small and unimportant.
It's still for too many—stopping splitting hairs!
那也是太多了——别在这些细枝末节上纠缠了。split hairs over sth
Why split hairs over the color of the dress?
His wife always is splitting hairs over trifles at home.
I found it dull to split hairs over the privacy of a famous person.
- split in (v.+prep.)
劈成,切成,裂成 be divided into sth
split sth in sth
The river splits the town in two.
The knife split the apple in half!
- split into (v.+prep.)
(使)分成 (cause to) separate into (small parts)
split into sth
The river split into three smaller streams at this point.
这条河在此处分成三条小河。split sth into sth
I want to split this class into two ones as it has become too large.
Only a skilled workman can split slate into layers.
The strike split the union members into angry factions.
The deserted land was split into three development regions.
The city is split into eight blocks.
The compound can be split into parts.
- split on (v.+prep.)
〈非正〉向老师报告…的过错 give sb away ; tell secret information about sb
split on sth/v-ing
The parliament members split on capital punishment.
The writer and the editor split on the basic idea in the article.
The husband and the wife split on the question of their children's education.
The two brothers split on inheriting the legacy of their parents.
两兄弟为继承父母的遗产而闹翻。split on sb to sb
Somebody must have split on him to a teacher.
The boy who often plays truant is afraid someone in his class will split on him to his parents.
- split sides
捧腹大笑,笑弯了腰 laugh with movements of the sides; be weak with uncontrollable laughter
split one's sides
The audience split their sides at the comedian's jokes.
- split up (v.+adv.)
〈非正〉夫妻离异; (使)断绝关系 (of a married or engaged couple) to end their relationship; break up
split sth ? up
Split it up among you.
The wood can be split up for fuel.
这些木头可以劈开当柴烧。split up into sth
Now, children, you must split up into two groups for this game.
There were so many men in the room that they had to split up into groups.
屋里有那么多人,他们不得不分成许多小组。split sth ? up into sth
The teacher split the class up into six groups.
I think the article would be easier to read if you split it up into sections.
The book was split up into ten chapters.
该书被分为10章。split sth ? up
The family agreed to split up the estate.
The young couple split up after a bitter quarrel.
It is said that they are splitting up.
It's pity that friends split up over trifles.
朋友们为了一些小事不和是令人遗憾的。split sb ? up
The misunderstanding split up the young man and his fiancee.
The quarrel split up the two friends.
- split with (v.+prep.)
同…一起分享〔分担〕; 和…断绝关系 share with sb; break up with sb
split with sb
Oh, you've got a lot of candies!Will you split with us?
He split with one of his former friends.
She totally split with the feudal ideas on marriage.
- split the class 分班
- split the profits 均分利润
- split easily 容易劈开
- split across 分裂成二
- split away〔off〕 分裂出去
- split up 破裂,裂开,分散
- split up the enemy 分化敌人
- split among all of us 我们大家共同分担
- split sth between sb 与某人均摊某物
- split sth from 使某物与…分离
- split sth in two 把某物切成两半
- split into 分成,分裂成,分为
- split into several factions 分裂成几派
- split into two groups 分成两组
- split on 在…上产生分歧,告发
- split with sb 与某人均分
Billy linked his fingers, placed his thumbs together and blew into the split between.出自： B. Hines
Their cases were cardboard, split and broken.出自： U. Holden
The Stone that is Slaty..will split only lengthways or horizontally.出自： S. P. Woodward
He reached for a hot biscuit and split it and placed..butter in the centre.出自： E. Ferber
Two men were splitting logs.出自： A. Tyler
One..knocked her down, splitting her lip.出自： P. Abrahams
- split后接介词on表示“在…上产生分歧,分道扬镳”或“告密”; 后接介词with表示“和…分开〔离婚〕”; 后接副词up表示“(使)断绝关系”,主要指夫妻、未婚夫妻断绝关系,也可指使朋友断绝来往; split hairs的意思是“吹毛求疵,为小事争论”。
- split, tear
- 这两个词都有“撕裂”的意思。其区别在于:tear多指外力作用下的撕裂; split既可指外力作用下的撕裂、分裂,也可指物体内部自动地分裂、裂开。例如:
- Split the pineapple before peeling it.先把菠萝切开,然后削皮。
- The furniture split open in the sunshine.家具在阳光下晒裂了。
- ☆ 直接源自中古荷兰语的splitten，意为裂开。