- [C]杠杆 a bar for lifting sth heavy or opening sth, put one end under the thing you want to lift or open, and push the other end
- [C]操作杆 a thing that you pull or push to make a machine work
- vt. (用杠杆)移动〔撬开〕 move (sth) with a lever
a rigid bar pivoted about a fulcrum
a simple machine that gives a mechanical advantage when given a fulcrum
a flat metal tumbler in a lever lock
to move or force, especially in an effort to get something open;
"The burglar jimmied the lock"
"Raccoons managed to pry the lid off the garbage pail"
- He employed his knife as a lever.
- This lever must serve some ulterior purpose.
- Push hard and the lever will go down.
- Move this lever to change gear.
- This latest incident may be the lever needed to change government policy.
- They managed to lever the door open.
- We are trying to lever the roots out, but in vain.
- The worker is levering at the rock.
- He is repairing the brake lever of an automobile.
- Push the lever and the machine will start.
- They used the threat of strike action as a lever to get the employers to agree to their demands.
- They levered it into position.
- They levered the iron into the house.
- lever out( v.+adv. )
使(自己)费力地站起来make (oneself) rise with difficulty, effort, etc.
lever sth ? out
We had a lot of trouble levering the roots out.
在撬树根时我们遇到了很多麻烦。lever sb out of sth
They're trying to lever him out of his job as head of the firm.
他们试图把他从公司首脑的位置上挤走。lever oneself out
Once you're stuck in deep snow, it's difficult to lever yourself out.
- lever up( v.+adv. )
费力地支起(自己)lift (oneself) up with difficulty, effort
lever sth ? up
If you lever up the stone with a stick, you will find lots of insects living beneath it.
要是用棍把这块石头撬起来,你会看到石头下面有许多虫子。lever oneself up
The wounded soldier levered himself up on his elbow and shouted for help.
- move lever 移动杠杆
- pull〔push〕 a lever 拉操纵杆(开动机器等),(在投票站)拉选票
- operating lever 操纵杆
- timing lever 定时杆
- brake〔control〕 lever 刹车〔操纵〕杆
- gear lever 变速装置
- lever rule 杠杆定律
- lever ...into... 用杠杆把…撬进…
A simple flip of a lever will enable the bike to be folded.出自：Toronto Sun
Joseph..levered up the lid..with a chisel.出自： C. Mackenzie
I levered Smithy into a sitting position.出自： A. MacLean